Campaigns & Civic Engagement Associate
Title: Campaigns & Civic Engagement Associate
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Campaigns and Civic Engagement Director
Purpose & Background:
Conservation Voters New Mexico (CVNM) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Santa Fe, NM. Our vision is for New Mexicans to thrive in just, resilient communities where our conservation and cultural values guide our decision-makers and public policies. CVNM connects the people of New Mexico to their political power by mobilizing voters, winning elections, holding elected officials accountable and advancing responsible public policies.
We are seeking a full-time Campaigns & Civic Engagement Associate to support CVNM’s political work and play an integral role in advancing statewide policies that protect our air, land, water, and wildlife. The Associate will be responsible for implementing strategies that build broad support for federal and state issue campaigns, increase voter engagement, connect communities with their decision-makers, and elect pro-conservation candidates.
The Campaigns and Civic Engagement Associate must be committed to our mission and values of authentic community and stakeholder engagement in policy work, and exemplify a deep understanding and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. CVNM staff incorporate these values into our day-to-day systems and work, and provide key support for collaboration across departments and community and organizational partnerships. The Campaigns and Civic Engagement Associate reports to the CVNM Campaigns and Civic Engagement Director, and collaborates closely with CVNM’s political and policy team. This position is based in Santa Fe with remote work possible for the right candidate. This position also requires the ability to work a non-standard work week including some evenings and weekends, particularly during the legislative session and/or election season. Please note that all CVNM & CVNM Education Fund staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Collaborate with the Campaigns & Civic Engagement Director and advocacy team to identify and implement strategies to meet organizational goals and get the attention of decision-makers and media, including public events, press events, meetings or presentations.
- Work with Communications Director and Campaigns & Civic Engagement Director to implement earned media strategies, including press conferences, letters to the editor, and face to face meetings with reporters.
- Build relationships with key partners across the state and identify opportunities to collaborate on environmental policy, voting and civic engagement.
- Assist Campaigns & Civic Engagement Director in researching and tracking federal policy initiatives, as requested.
- Organize opportunities to engage the public with the decision-making process at the state and federal level through advocacy days, public comment, meetings with decision-makers, and other actions.
- Implement strategies for get-out-the-vote in election years, including education about the importance of voting, disseminating information about polling locations, and/or mail or phone programs.
- Assist Campaigns & Civic Engagement Director in executing independent expenditure campaign work for CVNM Verde Voters Fund, as needed.
- Comply with CVNM’s policies and procedures.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Campaigns & Civic Engagement Director, Deputy Director of Programs, or Executive Director.
- Minimum 2+ years in grassroots community, issue, labor, political or electoral organizing campaigns, or in industries that engage the general public, like sales, customer service, or education.
- Ability to efficiently utilize databases and Excel.
- Comfortable presenting to multicultural audiences, and collaborating with people in both group and one-on-one settings.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of rural and/or communities of color in New Mexico.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity, and an interest in environmental issues that impact our air, land, water, wildlife and community health.
- Strong understanding of how engaging the public in the political process can create policy change.
- Strong understanding of how voting and civic engagement can create policy change.
- Must be able to work a non-standard work week, including nights and weekends as needed.
- Ability to implement key organizing strategies like door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, public speaking and willingness to learn and implement additional strategies.
- Both in-state and out-of-state travel may be required.
- Knowledge of federal and state politics and/or how a bill becomes a law is a plus.
- Bilingual in Spanish and/or Diné a plus.
This is a full-time exempt salaried position based on experience. CVNM also offers a benefits package for full-time staff that includes vacation and sick leave, a retirement package, and health, dental and vision coverage.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and three references to Careers@CVNM.org with “Campaigns and Civic Engagement Associate” in the subject line. Position is open until filled. No calls please. CVNM is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with CVNM is at will. If you need additional assistance to apply, please contact Careers@CVNM.org.