Have you heard about the proposed Holtec facility in southeastern New Mexico? An international company called Holtec wants to bring high-level radioactive waste from for-profit nuclear reactors around the country and store it at a site between Carlsbad and Hobbs. Tax payers would be on the hook for this facility, not to mention the dangers in transporting this kind of waste across the country and across our state. They claim this highly dangerous waste will be stored here temporarily – but there is no permanent nuclear storage location in the nation. So where is it going to go after here?
We at CVNM think that New Mexico deserve better than being the dumping ground for our nation’s most dangerous of all radioactive waste – irradiated fuel rods that have been inside nuclear reactors. Exposure to unshielded waste is deadly. We deserve better jobs than this, too. If you think so too, please make sure to attend one of the public meetings and/or submit public comment.
The Nuclear Regulation Commission (NRC) is holding public scoping meetings next week in Hobbs, Carlsbad and Roswell. These are the only real meeting opportunities to speak out against this dangerous plan. Please come to one or more of these meetings, and bring anyone that you can! Your input and presence are important and greatly needed.
Join our allies at the Alliance for Environmental Strategies, Nuclear Issues Study Group and Southwest Information Center to attend a meeting or submit public comment to the NRC. Visit www.NoNuclearWaste.org for more information on the proposal and instructions for submitting public comment.
NRC Scoping Meetings on Holtec
Monday, April 30th
- 4 p.m. – Roswell Open House
- 7-10 p.m. – Public meeting
- Location: ENMU-Roswell Campus Union Building, Room 110, 48 University Blvd.
- Come at 3 pm for 3:30 press conference. Open house begins afterwards. Public input will follow an NRC presentation from 7-10 p.m.
Tuesday, May 1st
- 7-10 p.m. – Hobbs Public Meeting
- Location: Lea County Event Center, 5101 N. Lovington Highway
Thursday, May 3rd
- 7-10 p.m. – Carlsbad Public Meeting
- Location: Eddy County Fire Service, 1400 Commerce Street