Voting in New Mexico
Find your district and polling place
You can register for the first time or update your registration online until the start of early voting; New Mexico has same-day registration and voting at county clerk offices during early voting.
If you prefer to register by mail, you can request the New Mexico form by mail, telephone, or in person. You can contact any County Clerk’s office, the Office of the Secretary of State, and many state agencies such as Motor Vehicle Department offices or public assistance offices. Fill out the form completely and accurately, provide copies of the required identification documents, then mail it to the New Mexico Secretary of State’s Office or your local County Clerk’s Office.
Early and absentee voting – 2020
Many people are rightly nervous about voting in person because of Covid-19 and there is also concern about ballots reaching county clerks in time because of rumors about mailing delays with the U.S. Postal Service.
The best way to manage these concerns is to vote early by absentee ballot.
Visit the New Mexico Secretary of State’s Voter Information Portal for information on Early and Absentee Voting. The website has information on filling in an online absentee ballot or downloading a ballot and returning it to your county clerk, as well as how to contact your county clerk for information.
Accessible Absentee Ballots are available or the first time, making it possible for those with visual impairments to complete an absentee ballot.
- October 6th – Absentee voting begins; absentee ballots can be mailed in, returned to the county clerk’s office, or dropped off in specially marked voting boxes
- October 6th – Early voting also begins at county clerk offices
- October 20th @ 5:00pm – Deadline to request Absentee Ballots from the Secretary of State or county clerks
- October 17th through October 31st – Early in-person voting starts at voting convenience centers and polling places. Please check locations and hours of operation by visiting org or by contacting your County Clerk’s Office
- November 3rd @ 7:00 PM (Election Day) – Deadline to return all absentee ballots to either the County Clerk’s Office or an Election Day polling location
If you have any questions:
- contact your County Clerk
- call the Secretary of State Toll Free : 1-800-477-3632